Each March, tens of thousands of Internet folks take Austin, Texas, by storm for the annual South by Southwest Interactive festival. This year, I joined them from March 8-14 for my first SXSW experience, my first visit to Texas and an utterly life-changing seven days.
I wrestled my hundreds of tweets, checkins and photos into a Storify story for the full recap of my week in Austin (and the rest into a Facebook photo album), but because I’m hoping my readers lead much more interesting lives than I lead, I won’t force you to suffer through the social media hailstorm I created through live-tweets of each panel. Instead, a list of a few memorable moments:
Best panels / talks:
- Meeting cowboys at the Computer Blue Party at Rattle Inn
- Gary Vaynerchuk’s #secretwineparty at Haven
- Every night at the Driskill Hotel Bar
- Zya Launch Party at Six Lounge (Nick Cannon!)
- 3 a.m. dance party at VEVO / NikeFuel Station
- Grown men in footie pajamas
- Spontaneous parades on 6th Street
- Marketers wearing giant blue slices of bread
- The contortionist at the Copyblogger photo booth
- Street corner hula hooping
- Torchy’s Tacos with the RecBob team
- Z’Tejas with new Weber Shandwick friends
- Asian Fried Chicken at the Squarespace Food Truck
- The bacon jam (!) at NBC’s TODAY Munchie Mobile
- Those smoked salmon canapés at the Zya launch
- ABC — Always Be Charging.
- Downloading that app will not lead to free food or beer.
- SXSW is not the place to break in new TOMS.
- The city of Austin will never have enough taxis to accommodate 15,000 inebriated geeks.
- I must go back in 2013.